01 April 2008

April 2008 Movies

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

The best of TV's coming back in the next 7 days, but I managed a free Redbox rental yesterday to finally catch Stardust, which I thought was great, if a bit predictable. I'm sure it tanked at the box office because everything fantasy not named Harry Potter tanks at the box office.

Still, a great, funny, well-done film from a superlative source.

I also caught Enchanted a few days ago. I rented it for the wife, as I thought she'd enjoy it. I was right. It's a cute film, also well-done, if a bit ridiculous at times (even for the genre). It's a shame three songs from it were nominated for Oscars, and consequently split the votes, since That's How You Know would've been a shoo-in nominated alone.

Here's my top 20 or so movies to see right now, some still unreleased. The starred ones I've got on DVD or Blu-Ray yet still haven't found the time to watch.

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2. The Dark Knight
3. Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End*
Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
4. National Treasure II - Book of Secrets
No Country for Old Men
5. There Will Be Blood*
6. Idiocracy*
7. Children of Men
8. The Departed*
9. The Golden Compass
Stardust
10. Invincible*
11. Pan's Labyrinth*
12. In Bruges
13. Hot Fuzz
14. Crank
15. Live Free or Die Hard
16. The Simpsons Movie*
The Prestige*
17. The Fountain*
18. Gone Baby Gone*
19. Persepolis
20. Zodiac*
21. Romance & Cigarettes
22. King of California
23. Michael Clayton*
24. Juno*
25. Tropic Thunder
26. Doomsday
27. Atonement*

Update 4/10/08:
And, seriously, I just watched my first Blu Ray movie, The Prestige, on my 5-month-old PS3. The picture is insanely good, although the menu interface was a bit odd to deal with (I've tested out Ratatouille BD, which has more standard menus, but haven't watched it). The movie was also outstanding. I'm not sure if you'd call it a thriller, or a period drama, or a mystery, or a fantasy, but it's just plain great.

Update 4/15/08
Two movies in two days! Knocked out Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street on Sunday and No Country for Old Men last night. To be honest, I was underwhelmed by both films. Sweeney was all style and no substance, and I found that I wasn't emotionally invested in the fate of any of the main players. No Country seemed paced all wrong, like it didn't know what sort of film it wanted to be. It was like David Mamet wrote an action movie, but without the snappy dialogue. On the plus side, the always radiant Kelly MacDonald (whom I've loved since Two Family House) does a wonderful job with limited screen time, as does Josh Brolin, who is the only three-dimensional character in the movie. Frankly, I don't know how it won the Best Picture Oscar, but I still need to see Juno, Michael Clayton, Atonement, and There Will Be Blood to speak intelligently on what I would have chosen. I'll catch two of those by week's end.

No comments: