24 February 2007

Another reason TV is better than movies

Last night, on The Office, dialogue from Jan Levinson (the lovely Melora Hardin) to the camera, on her relationship with Michael Scott (Steve Carell):

I am taking a calculated risk. What's the upside? I overcome my nausea, fall deeply in love, babies, normalcy, no more self-loathing. Downside, I date Michael Scott publicly and collapse in on myself like a dying star.

Best writing on TV, even if it's painful to watch sometimes.

For the uninitiated, first watch the British version with Ricky Gervais, including the Christmas finale (7.5 hours total), and then start on the US one (Season 1: 3 hours, Season 2: 12 hours, Season 3 to date: 9 hours). It's worth the time. You may have to add a few hours for cringe-induced pauses.

No comments: