13 March 2008

Double, double, toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

I dragged the tremendously-pregnant wife to Capitol Hill on Sunday for a matinee production of Macbeth at the Folger Theatre. Why would I do such a thing to my beloved? Well, first I've never seen Macbeth (Yes, I know. Hard to believe. I've seen Measure for Measure four times yet never managed to catch Macbeth on stage or screen unless you count Scotland, PA). Second, it was co-directed by Teller, who brought more than a little of his magical and theatrical know-how to the production, which was pretty much spectacular. The Washington Post agrees with me on that.

Great production, start to finish, and I can't think of too many places better suited to watch a performance of the Bard's finest than the balcony at the Folger. There we were in our seats, leaning forwards on the railing above the first row in the orchestra, stage right.

Awesome. And a hell of a lot cheaper than Coriolanus and The Tempest (en Français) at the Kennedy last year.

No comments: