07 January 2006

What I've been reading

Sure I haven't seen a movie since November (Zathura, in case you're curious), but all of my time hasn't been spent cleaning after Roscoe.

In the last couple months, I've cruised through:

Y: The Last Man, Volumes 1-5, by Brian K. Vaughan
These were some quick reads, provocative, well-written, great art. Highly recommended.

Punisher MAX, Volumes 1-4, by Garth Ennis
I prefered Ennis's earlier Punisher work, both in terms of artwork and story. His earlier Punisher series was still lighthearted, if viciously violent. Now that he's MAX'd out, he's lost his sense of humor. Fortunately that wasn't the case with

Thor: Vikings, by Garth Ennis
Still horrifically ultraviolent, but more fun. More my style.

Gotham Central: Volumes 1 and 2, by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka
Good stuff here, focusing on the Gotham PD rather than Batman's exploits. Brubaker's a hard-boiled type of guy, and he brings his distinctive style to Gotham. Greg Rucka does just fine with his tales of Det. Renee Montoya.

Batman: Hush, Volumes 1 and 2, by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
Jeph's skill with the Bat is legendary, and no one draws a sexier Catwoman than Jim Lee. Top notch stuff.

Artemis Fowl, Books 1 and 2, by Eoin Colfer
Lest you think all I'm doing is reading comics, I've worked some novels in as well. Artemis is mainly kid stuff, Harrypotteresque, but I still liked it. So there.

His Dark Materials, Book 1, The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman
His Dark Materials, Book 2, The Subtle Knife, by Philip Pullman
Pullman mostly gets press lately for his loathing of C.S. Lewis, but he spins quite a tale of a multiverse dominated by the theocratic Authority.

The Chronicles of Narnia, Books 1-3, by C.S. Lewis
Suck on it, Pullman!

Cinnamon Kiss, by Walter Mosley
A year without Easy Rawlins is like a year without sunshine.

That's all I can think of right now, outside of a few short story collections that I've had forever and read on airplanes and left there...no need to mention them. I'm in the middle of at least a half-dozen more. I'll keep ya posted.

No comments: