19 March 2006

V for Vine-Ripened Tomatoes

V for Vendetta: 3.5 Stars. I always loved the book this movie was based on, and when I heard the Wachowski brothers were bringing it to the big screen, let's just say that I was more than a little excited. Not that I'm a fan of their work, mind you, save Bound, but it's one hell of a story to put up on the big screen. As it turns out, they did a pretty respectable job of it. The story was adapted quite well, with most of the major highlights still there. I would've liked them to have included the remarkable subplot involving Creedy's wife, but you can't have everything. All of the casting was spot-on, especially Stephen Rea as Finch, and it's always nice to see Coupling's Ben Miles getting work. I think the only thing they did wrong was using the Guy Fawkes mask as it appeared in the comic. A still face in the comics is to be expected, but it doesn't work well in live-action. They should've left the lips open, like the original Shadowman mask. I'm sure Hugo Weaving would've appreciated it. Still, great film...likely to be one of the year's best. Go see it.

No comments: