23 August 2005

Mispellings and other capitol offences.

There are few things that I find more distracting than public displays fraught with misspellings. I'm not saying that they're worse than littering and graffiti...they're just distracting. I suspect it's because it's such an avoidable problem. It's even worse when they are on professionally-made signs. I suspect the signmakers either don't know or don't care. ("Give the customer what they ask for, that's what I say!"

So today on my way to work, I pass a sign for the OGBC Outdoor FilmFest. This Friday and Saturday, they'll be showing Shark Tales and Raiders of the Lost Arc.

"Aha!" you say, all the words in that sign are correctly spelled. Yes, I know they are all technically Scrabble-caliber words. The titles are still incorrect, though, and they make the people running the event look either stupid, careless, or both. We can debate another time about which is worse.

Just my $0.02 for the day.

No comments: