06 February 2006

Some more books injested...

His Dark Materials 3: The Amber Spyglass by Philip Kaufman
The end of Philip Kaufman's anti-religious saga ends with a battle royale between man and the Authority. I think this series really peaked with the first book, and I can't say I was wholly satisfied with the conculsion, but it was still a pretty solid read. I don't think I'd really recommend this for kids, though, despite all of the little British boys and girls being brought up on it. I wonder how many of their parents know about how blasphemous this book really is. Not that I have any issues with blasphemy, mind you. I encourage it. I suspect, however, that I'm in the minority.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
If you like your cyberpunk mixed in with a few pre-monotheistic history lessons, this is a book for you. If not, this may not be your cup of tea. I loved the start, but the story started to fade after a couple hundred pages. This was pretty ahead of its time for 1994, I think. Still, start with William Gibson's Neuromancer before you hit this one, just to get in the right frame of mind.

No comments: