22 April 2006

NJGSS: A new lease on life!

I don't post too often these days, so you can probably scroll down to see what I'm talking about here, or click here and here.

The short of it is that a NJ State summer program for their best and brightest was defunded by Gov. Jon Corzine, and, as an alumnus, I was hoping it would be reversed.

Well it looks like it's going to happen, but not quite as I'd envisioned. According to the Star Ledger, of the $1.9M budget the program needs per year, they've managed to raise $1.7 million in private donations in less than a month, including a $200,000 gift from a 36-year-old NJGSS alumna. There's a lesson here about supporting your best and brightest that will probably be lost on politicians, but it's an immeasurable success for the human race, in my humble opinion.

I'd rather see NJ tax dollars support these kids in the future, but it's a start. Not a very libertarian position, I know, but if they're going to collect taxes, I can at least hope they're going to pay for something worthwhile.

Now, can you find me in this class picture?

1 comment:

Tim H said...

I absolutely agree, NJGSS should be refunded, I work there currently, and this could be the last year if we don't get more funding